Home Up Feedback Search Contents

Restraining Orders


Home Up Family Law Practice Notary Services Links Lawyer Fees Lawyers / Staff Credit Card / PayPal



Restraining orders

A person who has been assaulted by his or her spouse/partner can ask the court to make a restraining order. The restraining order can be general - that your spouse/partner has to stay away from you - or it can be specific. It can say that your spouse/partner must not come to your home, to your place of work, to your children's school or to other places where you often go (for example, your place of worship or your parent's home).

The restraining order must be served on your spouse/partner as soon as possible but you do not have to serve it yourself. It's best to have someone else serve it for you. If that's not possible, the court will assist you.

If your spouse/partner disobeys the restraining order, you can call the police. The police will want to see the restraining order. Keep it with you at all times. They may also ask you if your spouse/partner knows about the restraining order. If the police believe that your spouse/partner has disobeyed the restraining order, he or she can be arrested and charged with a crime.

In certain situations, a restraining order can also be obtained to deal with individuals that are harassing or bothering you inappropriately.

Home ] Up ] 

                                                                  Last modified: April 25, 2011 10:24 PM