Home Up Feedback Search Contents

Consent to Travel Document


Home Up Family Law Practice Links Lawyer Fees Lawyers / Staff Credit Card / PayPal



Due to increasing concern for the safety of children, many governments including that of Canada have initiated special requirements for when children under 18 years of age are traveling with only one parent.

The traveling parent now requires documentary evidence in the form of a notarized consent to travel letter be presented to establish the relationship of the accompanying adult to the child as well as permission of the parent(s) or legal guardian before a minor can cross international borders. This requirement is in addition to other legal requirements as specified by airlines and official authorities. 

A handwritten letter or consent form that has not been notarized by a licensed notary public will often be rejected by immigration officials due to the ease in which such forms can be forged.  A notarized consent to travel document is generally required in the following instances:

bulletChild Traveling With One Parent - If a minor is traveling with only one parent, the absent parent is expected to provide notarized consent.
bulletChild Traveling Alone or Without Either Parents - If a minor is traveling alone or is accompanied by an adult other than a parent, both parents (or the sole documented custodial parent) must provide notarized consent.
bulletChild Has Only One Parent - If a minor child has only one parent as evidenced by its birth certificate, a notarized copy of the birth certificate or the original will be sufficient proof allowing for travel.

FEE: $35.00 + GST = $36.75

Sample Consent to Travel letters from Foreign Affairs Canada


Home ] Up ] 

                                                                  Last modified: April 25, 2011 10:24 PM